Friday, December 03, 2004

How My Church Welcomed Me

So there's all this fuss about the United Church of Christ's TV ad--NBC and CBS don't want to air it because it's "controversial." Most of the controversy seems to be in that it points out: 1. The United Church of Christ as a whole consciously tries to welcome people of many cultures, races, and sexual orientations, and 2. Some churches don't, especially when it comes to that last one there.

The ad shows bouncers at a church door, letting some people in, but keeping other people out. And then it breaks away saying "Jesus didn't turn people away--neither do we." (See below for a link)

I can see why people are offended, but on the other hand, I am one of those people who hit a bouncer trying to make my way into my old church. I grew up in a different denomination, and loved it. I loved the history, the traditions, the theology, the music, and it raised me as a christian to love, know and serve God. I owe that church a debt of gratitude. But when I realized I was bisexual and in love with a woman, I hit a velvet rope. Although I felt (and still feel) a strong call into ordained ministry, the church I grew up in refuses to ordain openly gay and lesbian people. I could live in the closet, not be ordained, or leave.

When I left, the denomination I came to was the United Church of Christ. Not only did the people there say that they were willing to ordain gays, I found several ordained gay role models. And I never saw an eyelash bat during the entire course of my ordination process. The church welcomed and supported me.

Granted, my job search process hasn't been entirely rosy. Because churches in the UCC have a lot of autonomy, some are more conservative on gay issues than others. Confronted with the prospect of a real live lesbian as a minister, one church I interviewed with shied away. But not before some people had grappled with their own prejudices and changed their minds because of my witness.

So I think that's the thing that is so gracious about the UCC. The people in each church must make their own decisions, and not let someone far away (who may have never knowingly met a gay person, for example) make decisions that affect everyone's life. That has been where I have felt the challenge and the welcome of this church--in person, and face to face.

What a blessing.

No comments: